Monday, December 23, 2013

Sixpoint Global Warmer (3/10)

Sixpoint Brewery of Brooklyn, New York, produces a long line of canned craft beers.  Global Warmer is a 2013 release, labeled as a “winter warmer” style beer.  In their blog post about it, Sixpoint wanted to show that you could follow the prevailing trend of cramming a lot of hops into every beer style.

The beer pours a cloudy reddish brown color with a coarse white head that leaves behind sheet-like lacing.

The aroma is pine and grapefruit, which you’d expect for something intended to showcase hops.

The flavor follows the aroma to the letter.  It’s like drinking a glass of concentrated grapefruit juice into which a Christmas tree has been steeped for two or three months.  It’s bitter and unpleasant.  To call it a winter warmer is to insult all other winter warmers.  The only thing that warmed my heart about this beer was that I bought only a five-ounce sample.  It warmed my heart to know that once that sample was gone, I’d never have to drink this beer ever again.

The Beer Advocate folks gave it an 88 or “very good” rating with over 130 reviews.  Rate Beer gives it an 84 overall.  For me, this is just not what I want, expect, or like in a winter warmer, so it gets a 3 out of 10.

I sampled it at The Daily Growler in Upper Arlington, but I’ve seen Sixpoint’s products at various local retailers in Columbus.


Flavor Profile:

Sweet, Malty, Dry, or Bitter:  Bitter, bitter, bitter
Spice Level:  Undetectable
Hops Level:  High
Dominant Flavors:  Pine tree and grapefruit
ABV: 7%
IBU: 70
My Rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment