Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Shiner Holiday Cheer (8/10)

Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas, produces Shiner Holiday Cheer, a Dunkelweizen brewed with pecans and peaches. 
Pours a clear deep mahogany with finger-thick beige head that lasts for a while.  Leaves behind no visible lacing.
Aroma primarily consists peaches and pecans.

The flavor puts peach up front and center, with pecans adding a slightly bitter element that seems to take the place of hops.  Malt presence is strong but serves mostly as a carrier for the peaches and pecans.  It’s a very pleasant beer to drink and although not necessarily a flavor I’d associate with the holidays, it’s very nice.

Beer Advocate rates this one 80-84 or “good”, while Rate Beer gives it only a 48 overall.  I have to admit that I like it quite a bit, though it doesn’t put me in mind of the holidays.  I’m giving it an 8 out of 10.


Flavor Profile:


Sweet, Malty, Dry, or Bitter:  Slightly sweet
Spice Level:  Extremely low
Hops Level:  Extremely low
Dominant Flavors:  Peaches, mild pecans
ABV: 5.4%
IBU:  22
My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment