Friday, December 13, 2013

Bell’s Winter White Ale (7/10)

Bell’s Brewery of Kalamazoo, Michigan, produces this Belgian-style white ale.  Bell’s Winter White Ale is reportedly fermented using a Belgian ale yeast with a mix of barley and wheat malts, and no spices.

The beer pours a cloudy pale gold color with a thin white head that vanishes quickly.

The aroma is a mix of yeast, cloves, and malt.

The flavor (and this is surprising for a Bell’s product) is not particularly hoppy.  In fact it is much more like a Belgian white ale like a Wittkerke than it is a traditional Bell’s beer like Two Hearted.  I think it might be the first Bell’s product that I actually like and would buy a second time. 
Beer Advocate rates Bell’s Winter White Ale an 83 or “good”.  Rate Beer gives it an 86 overall. 

As a White Ale, it deserves an 8/10 rating because it’s as good as any other I’ve had.  As a winter or holiday ale, it’s a nice change, but not really what I’m looking for, so I give it a 7/10.

I found this particular bottle at Kenny Road Market.  I would imagine that it’s available at other local retailers as well.

Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, or Bitter:  Malty
Spice Level:  Virtual non-existent apart from cloves in the aroma
Hops Level: Very Low
Dominant Flavors:  Malt, mild cloves
ABV: 8.2%
IBU:  25
My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment