Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Ommegang Adoration (10/10)

Adoration is brewed as a limited edition beer by Brewery Ommegang of Cooperstown, New York.  It’s brewed in the style of Belgian winter or noel beers.  Ommegang’s web site says that it’s “dark, malty, and assertively spiced”.  It’s brewed with dark malts, coriander, orange peel, mace, cardamom, and grains of paradise.  It’s available for a limited time in 12-ounce bottles and 1/6 kegs.

It pours a clear cherry brown color with a thick tan head that lasts a while.

The aroma is caramel malt and Belgian-style spice.

The flavor follows the aroma, with a strong malty sweetness, backed by citrus and spices.  There is a warming alcohol note, but not as much as you’d expect for a 10% ABV beer.  It’s an excellent beer and exactly the kind of thing I’d be happy to sip at Christmas time, or any time.  It’s a shame that it’s a limited edition brew.

Beer Advocate, Rate Beer, and I are all pretty much in agreement.  This is an outstanding beer.  Rate Beer gives it a 96 overallBeer Advocate rates it a 91.  I’m giving it a solid 10.  It’s everything I like in a beer, and nothing I dislike.

I purchased this particular bottle as a loose single at Kenny Road Market.  I’ve not seen it at other retailers yet, but when I do you can be sure that I’ll pick some more of it up.

Flavor Profile:

Sweet, Malty, Dry, or Bitter:  Sweet
Spice Level:  Moderate
Hops Level:  Minimal
Dominant Flavors:  Dark fruits, caramel, spice
ABV: 10%
IBU:  Unknown
My Rating: /10

No comments:

Post a Comment