Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Mt. Carmel Winter Ale (6/10)


Cincinnati, Ohio, based Mt. Carmel Brewing Company produces this Winter Ale.  They say it “calls to mind the holiday season with scents of spruce and ginger mingling with the flavors of orange-spiced bread.

It pours a clear medium-to-dark brown with a thin beige head.  The aroma is that of sweet caramel with a touch of pine. 

The flavor is big and malty with a smoky element to it.  I get a little bit of a cola flavor in it as well.  The finish is malty and bitter, with the bitter element coming out just a little more.  It’s a nice beer and not hard to drink.

Beer Advocate rates Mt. Carmel Winter Ale 84 or “good”.  Rate Beer comes in with a similar 77 overall rating.  I like it well enough, but don’t love it – so I’m giving it a 6 out of 10.

The beer is available on draft and in bottles.  I had my sample at The Daily Growler in Upper Arlington, but I’ve seen the bottled version of Mt. Carmel products at The Andersons and some other retailers.


Flavor Profile:


Sweet, Malty, Dry, or Bitter:  Malty and mildly bitter
Spice Level:  Low
Hops Level: Low
Dominant Flavors:  Roasted malt and hops
ABV: 8%
IBU:  36.8
My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment