Saturday, August 31, 2013

World’s Best Beers?

While cleaning out my den, I found a copy of the December 2006 issue of the Bottom Line Secrets newsletter which had an article listeins ten of what they considered to be the World’s Best Beers.  Given the age of the article, I’m cutting them some slack in their choices, but here are the ten beers they considered to be the world’s best about seven years ago:

  1. Achel Trappist Extra – A Belgian Strong Dark Ale from Brouwerij der St. Benedictusabdij de Achelse which gets a 95/100 on Beer Advocate.
  2. Alaskan Smoked Porter from Alaskan Brewing Co. which gets a 93/100 on Beer Advocate.
  3. Anchor Liberty Ale from Anchor Brewing in San Francisco, which gets an 88/100 from Beer Advocate.
  4. Czechvar, which is an alias for Budweiser Budvar from Brewery Budweiser Budvar in the Czech Republic and gets an 82/100 on Beer Advocate.  I’m a bit skeptical about any “world’s best” list including a product from one of the big macro-brewers…
  5. Harvey’s “A. Le Coq” Imperial Extra Double Stout from Harvey & Son Ltd. in the UK.  Beer Advocate doesn’t think so much of this one (78/100).
  6. Mariage Parfait – a Lambic beer from Brouweij Boon in Belgium, which gets a 93/100 rating on Beer Advocate.
  7. Samichlaus (Swiss-German for Santa Claus) from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg in Austria.  This 14% ABV Doppelbock gets 89/100 on Beer Advocate.
  8. Schneider Aventinus Weizenbock from Weisses Brauhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH in Germany.  I’ve actually had this beer and agree that it’s a good one.  World’s best?  I don’t know.  Beer Advocate says 94/100.
  9. Super Baladin from Italy’s Birrificio Le Baladin.  Beer Advocate rates it 87/100.  I’ve not had it, but La Baladin Nora I really loved.
  10. Traquair House Ale from the Traquair House Brewery in the UK.  This Scotch Wee Heavy ale gets a 100/100 from Beer Advocate, so it may indeed be a really good one. 

 

The beers on this list that I haven’t had, I’ll have to try seeking out locally.  Perhaps I’ll find some favorites among them.  Traquair House Ale in particular gets my attention because its ratings are so high.

No comments:

Post a Comment