Wednesday, August 21, 2013

De Dolle Arabier (2/10)

De Dolle Arabier is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

Like all the De Dolle beers I've had, it seems almost excessively carbonated.  It pours with an enormous, thick, persistent white head that leaves behind a fair amount of lacing.

The aroma is slightly hoppy with some citrus.

The flavor starts a bit sour, followed by a major hit of hops bitterness.  It's the kind of bitterness that stays with you long after you've finished drinking.  If there are any of the usual Belgian flavors here, I can't find them behind the wall of hops bitterness in this brew.  It's a perfect example of why I usually don't drink Pale Ales or IPAs.  I just don't find them pleasant.

Clearly, though, I'm in the minority on this one.  Rate Beer gives De Dolle Arabier a 97 overallBeer Advocate rates it a 91-97 out of 100, either "exceptional" or "world-class".

I tried this particular bottle at The Winking Lizard Tavern on Bethel Road.  I've not seen it for sale at any of the local retailers I've visited.

ABV: 8%
IBU:  Unknown, but I'd estimate at above 40 or 50
My Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment