Friday, August 9, 2013

Weihenstephaner Vitus (9/10)

Weihenstephaner, located in Feising, Germany, produces Vitus.  Vitus is a single-bock wheat beer that is brewed and stored in monastery cellars for a lengthy period before shipping to customers.

It pours a cloudy, rich gold color with a finger-thick white head that dissipates slowly.

The aroma gives off cloves, banana, and yeast.

The flavor follows the aroma, starting with a bit of lemony citrus, followed by a finish that is wheat, banana, and cloves (with emphasis on the cloves).  It's overall very mild and very easy to drink.  Definitely one of my favorite wheat beers.

RateBeer gives this one a 98 overall and a 97 for the style.  Beer Advocate gives it a 95 or "world-class" rating.

I had this particular beer on draft at The Winking Lizard Tavern on Bethel Road.  I've seen it for sale at Ale Wine and Spirits of Powell, Giant Eagle at Bethel and Sawmill, and Kenny Road Market.  Other products from the same brewery I've seen on the shelves at almost every local craft beer retailer I've visited.

ABV:  7.7%
IBU:  unknown, but below 20
My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment