Wednesday, August 14, 2013

North Coast Blue Star Wheat Beer (5/10)

North Coast Brewing Company's Brother Thelonius is one of my favorite beers.  Blue Star is their version of the classic wheat beer.  It features a fairly basic recipe, which includes an American hops variety.

The beer pours a cloudy amber, with a very thick off-white head, as you can see in the photo.

The aroma is fairly non-descript.  I get some yeast and a bit of hops.

Like most wheat beers, the flavor in Blue Star Wheat Beer is fairly mild and plain.  The hops strain used makes it just a hair more bitter than some others, but not in any way an intense bitterness.  The hops also gives it a bit of grapefruit citrus flavor.  It's definitely easy enough to drink.

As an example of wheat beers, I would probably rate this 7-8 out of 10.  But I'm giving it overall a 5/10 because it just doesn't impress me compared to so many other beers on the market, including others from North Coast.

Beer Advocate rates North Coast Blue Star Wheat Beer an 81-89, or good.  Rate Beer tends to agree with me on this one, giving it a 48 overall and an 83 for the style.

I received this bottle in a gift pack purchased at Cost Plus World Market. I've seen it on the shelves at The Andersons General Store.

ABV: 4.5%
IBU: 17
My Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment