Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Trappistes Rochefort 6 (6/10)

Trappistes Rochefort 6 is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed by Trappist monks in Belgium.

I had this one straight out of the bottle, so I can’t comment on the color, head, or lacing – except to say that there was no lacing inside the bottle as I drank it.

It’s a fairly carbonated beer, as you can probably guess from the small amount of white head showing inside the bottle in the picture at the left.

The initial flavor is a grapefruit sourness, as though it was brewed with brown sugar or molasses.  This is followed fairly quickly by a malty sweetness, which in turn is balanced by some mild hops bitterness.  I didn’t notice the usual spice notes that are typical of Belgian beers.  The flavor balance tends slightly toward the hoppy, but not unpleasantly so.  The finish is a nice balance of malt and hops.

Overall, I like this beer.  I don’t love it, however.  This puts me at odds with the folks at Beer Advocate, who gave it an exceptional rating.  To me, it’s not an exceptional beer.  It’s good, yes.  Even better-than-average.  But for my taste, it’s not “exceptional”.

If you want to try it yourself, I've seen it a Giant Eagle Market District at Kingsdale and Weiland's Gourmet Market.

ABV:  7.5%
IBU:  18
My rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment