Thursday, August 30, 2012

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Beer (10/10)



One of my few disappointments about the Columbus Summer Beerfest was that Innis & Gunn's products were a no-show. It wasn't that I wanted the chance to taste them, so much as it was that I wanted to taste them ALL... And maybe go back for seconds... Or thirds.Beers that have been aged in wooden casks have often appealed to me. Whether it was Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron, Stone Brewing Company's Oaked Arrogant Bastard, Alltech's Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, or any of several other wood-aged beers, I tend to love them. There is something about them that seems sophisticated, luxurious, and special.And so it is with Innis & Gunn's Rum Cask aged beer. The flavor is creamy, malty, and smooth... With just a little hard liquor bite from the rum casks.

The aroma carries hints of vanilla and caramel, and an almost imperceptible yeastiness. The color is a reddish deep brown. The head is a pale tan, dissipates quickly, and leaves no lacing behind.

It is a truly great beer. But if you aren't the sort of person who would occasionally sip scotch or bourbon, it may not be for you.

Beer Advocate rates this one a 90/100, and I can't argue with that.

I've found Innis & Gunn products at Kenny Road Market, Giant Eagle Market District in Upper Arlington, and at a few other locations.

ABV: 7.4%
IBU: (unknown)
My Rating: 10/10




No comments:

Post a Comment