Friday, August 24, 2012

Dogfish Head Theobroma (5/10)


Dogfish Head Theobroma is an ale based on an ancient recipe which includes Aztec cocoa, cocoa nibs, ancho chili peppers, and annatto.

The color is slightly orange, which you wouldn't expect for a chocolate based beer. The flavor bears little resemblance to chocolate. The first taste that hits you is a honey sweetness, followed almost immediately by a mild heat from the anch chilis. After that, there is a touch of bitterness and alcohol warmth.

I like the beer, but I can't say I love it the way I do Dogfish Head's Chateau Jiahu or Ta Henket.

The head is white, short-lived, and completely vanishes soon after it is poured. There is absolutely no lacing.

I've seen it locally at Kenny Road Market and a few other locations.

ABV: 9.0%
IBUs: 8
My Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment