Friday, August 31, 2012

Black Sheep Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale (6/10)

This is one of those beers I had to try simply on the basis of the name.  I've been a fan of the Monty Python comedy troupe since I first saw them on screen at a college movie night.  Monty Python and the Holy Grail remains one of my favorite movies to this day.

Black Sheep Brewery's Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale comes with a Python-esque label (unfortunately not pictured here because my server grabbed the empty bottle before I snapped a photo of it) with the "Gr" in "Grail" crossed out to say "ail" (or "ale").

Poured into the glass, it is a standard amber color with a thin white head.  There is a slightly smoky flavor to it, and a mild hoppiness.  A decent beer, but not what you'd call fantastic.

Beer Advocate rates it a 78/100 or "average".

I tried it at The Winking Lizard Tavern on Bethel Road.  I've seen it for sale at Kenny Road Market and at The Andersons General Store.

ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 28
My rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment