Friday, August 24, 2012

North Coast Red Seal Ale (3/10)

North Coast's Red Seal Ale sounded good from the menu description.  Unfortunately, it's just not a beer that I care for.

Poured into the glass, it was a reddish amber color, with a thick white head that took a little while to dissipate.  There was an immediate floral aroma when I brought the glass to my mouth, which is often the sign that a very hoppy flavor is about to follow.

While it wasn't as hoppy as I expected from the aroma, it was a bit more hoppy than I care for. The fact that it's a pale ale probably accounts for that.  Try as I might, I just don't care for pale ales or India Pale Ales. The hoppiness always seems to drown out the rest of the beer to me.

Those who disagree with me on the whole "pale ale" issue can take heart in the fact that Beer Advocate rates it an 88-98 out of 100, describing it as "good" or "world-class".

Personally, I'd much rather drink their Brother Thelonius or La Merle than Red Seal Ale.  In fact, I've bought growlers and four-packs of Brother Thelonius.  I don't plan to buy another Red Seal.

I tasted this particular beer at The Winking Lizard Tavern on Bethel Road, but have seen it for sale at Whole Foods, Kenny Road Market, and other local retailers.

ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 42
My rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment