Friday, April 17, 2015

World Brews Dieselpunk Porter (7/10)

Last spring, a friend brought me a can of World Brews Dieselpunk Porter.  It's the one in the photo to the left.  (Don't worry, I drank it while it was still fresh. This post was written quite a bit later.)

The artwork on the can is worth the price of admission.  It's easily one of the coolest beer cans you'll see on a store shelf.

The beer pours a clear dark coppery brown with very thick tan head that lasts for a minute or two.  The head leaves behind a fair amount of lacing in the glass.

The aroma is mostly malt and yeast.

The flavor matches up to the aroma.  It's a solid porter, with minimal hops bitterness.  It's mild and very drinkable.

I'm giving this one a solid 7 out of 10, which puts me in the ballpark of the Beer Advocate rating of 76 but well above Rate Beer, which gives Dieselpunk only a 29 overall.  I think it's safe to say that with that much range in the ratings, this is one of those beers you'll either decide is "eh..." or "not so great".  For me, it's a decent beer and preferable to the macro brews (and a fair number of craft beers) but nothing I'll rush out to buy.

If you're looking for this beer, check your local Kroger, as it seems to be primarily distributed through that retail chain according to the official web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment