Friday, April 10, 2015

Hofstetten Krammer Granitbock (7/10)

Austria's Braueri Hofstetten Krammer GmbH produces this granite-brewed doppelbock which is appropriately named Granitbock.

What's that you say? You've never heard of a granite-brewed beer?  Yeah, neither had I.  According to this page the brewers start with a doppelbock style wort and cool it.  The wort is then transferred to open granite troughs, and white-hot granite stones are lowered into it.  These stones cause the sugars in the malt to carmelize and give it something of a smoked flavor.  The beer is left in the granite troughs to ferment and is then transferred to a cellar to be conditioned and matured.  If you want to see the beer being made, this YouTube video reportedly shows it (but all the narration is in German so I can't tell you what's being said).

Granitbock pours a dark brown color similar to a cola.  The head, as you can see in the photo, is thin and doesn't last long.  It's a beige or tan color.

The aroma is sweet and malty, with no hint of hops bitterness.  There is a hint of dark fruit in it, too.  This is exactly what you expect from a doppelbock.

The flavor reminds me a little of Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron or a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.  It's sweet, malty, and has a strong caramel note from the granite stone heating.  Dark fruit is present in here as well.  There is a touch of grain bitterness to it, but hops definitely takes a back seat here.  I can also pick up some mineral notes from the granite, which is unexpected but not unpleasant.

I like the beer, and it's something I anticipate buying again, but I can't honestly tell you I "love" it.  It's good, and I definitely recommend trying it.  Beer Advocate rates it an 84 or "good".  Rate Beer gives it a 92 overall.  Apart from the mineral notes from the granite used during brewing and fermenting, it's a straight-up doppelbock and a good example of the style.  However, there are other doppelbocks I like more, so I'm rating this a 7 out of 10.

When I checked Beer Menus, they didn't show it available in the Columbus area.  Here's the link in case you want to find this beer and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment