Friday, April 25, 2014

Belhaven Scottish Ale–Nitro (7/10)


Belhaven (or Greene King) is a brewery located in East Lothian, Scotland.  Their Scottish Ale is one of about 10 beers they brew.

Belhaven’s web site says “Malty and hoppy, we at Belhaven love the classic Scottish Ale and we’ve been brewing it longer than any of the other beers we produce.  Delivering a sweet, smooth, and creamy finish, Scottish Ale has a stunning ruby color in the glass.  Magic.”

It pours a clear coppery brown color with a bit-more-than-finger-thick white head that barely dissipates, given its nitrogen backing.

The aroma is that of a balance of malt and hops, leaning toward hops.

The flavor starts malty, creamy, and very mildly hoppy.  There’s not much else to it, but it’s a very well-balanced and smooth beer to drink.  The mouth feel was a little watery, but this didn’t affect its drinkability to me.

Beer Advocate rates it 86-91 (very good to outstanding).  Rate Beer sides with me on this one, giving it a 73 overall.  I rate it 7 out of 10.  It’s fair to note that the Beer Advocate and Rate Beer ratings may not be based on the same nitro-carbonated draft version I tasted here.

I tasted this particular draft at the 101 Beer Kitchen in Dublin in January 2013.  I haven’t seen it for sale in any local retailers recently.

Flavor Profile:

Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:  Malty
Spice Level:  None
Hops Level:  Very Low
Dominant Flavors:  Malt and hops in balance
ABV: 5.2%
IBU:  unknown, but I’d estimate around 25
My Rating:  7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment