Friday, April 11, 2014

Avery Karma (6/10)


Karma is a Belgian Pale Ale brewed by the Avery Brewing Company of Boulder, Colorado.  It’s described by the brewery as “a decidedly fruity and estery ale, intricate in body and nose, all driven by a unique Belgian yeast strain.”  It’s released annually in April.

The beer pours a clear medium brown with a thin white head that generates lots of sheet-like lacing on the glass.

The flavor reminds me a bit of Magic Hat #9, but with a lot more hops to it.  There a hint of apricot in among the other flavors.  Overall, it’s not bad but nothing I’m too crazy about – mostly because of the hops bitterness.  It’s hoppier than its 10 IBUs would indicate.

Beer Advocate rates Karma a 72-78 (“okay”).  Rate Beer is tougher on it, giving it only a 45 overall.  I’m somewhere between the two, giving it a 6 out of 10.  I like it, but not a lot.

Karma is available on draft (as sampled here) or in six-packs and cases of bottles.  I sampled this particular glass at The Winking Lizard in April 2013.  You can probably find it at any number of local stores which carry Avery products, though I’ve not seen it as of this writing.

Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:
Bitter
Spice Level:  Low
Hops Level:  Medium
Dominant Flavors:  Apricot, hops, malt
ABV:  5.4%
IBU: 10
My Rating:  6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment