Friday, April 18, 2014

5 Rabbit Cerveceria 5 Lizard Wheat Beer (7/10)

The 5 Rabbit Cerveceria of Bedford Park, Illinois, is the home of the 5 Lizard wheat beer.

It’s a Belgian style witbier brewed with malt, wheat, and oats, and flavored with coriander, fresh lime peel, and passion fruit puree.  It’s won a Gold Medal a the 2011 Great American Beer Festival.

It pours a cloudy yellow with a thin white head that vanishes quickly and leaves behind no lacing.

The aroma is that of toasted wheat and passion fruit.

The flavor starts with a rather sour citrus note, followed with a hint of the coriander and passion fruit.  Hops bitterness, or perhaps it’s the coriander, is mild and lingers a bit in the aftertaste.

Beer Advocate rates 5 Lizard 80/100 or “good”.  Rate Beer gives it a 68 overall, which is pretty close to my own rating of 7 out of 10.  I like 5 Lizard, but it’s a bit too sour for my taste.  I love passion fruit.  For me, a sweeter beer with a stronger passion fruit element would have been better.

This beer is available in bottled and draft forms, but I’ve not seen the bottle in any stores recently.  This sample was on tap at the Daily Growler when I tasted it in April 2013.

Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:  Sour
Spice Level:  Very low
Hops Level:  Low
Dominant Flavors:  Citrus, passion fruit, coriander
ABV: 4.3%
IBU:  20
My Rating:  7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment