Friday, February 22, 2013

Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale (8/10)

Kiuchi Brewery, makers of the Hitachino Nest line of beers, produces some really unusual (and very good) beers.  While I'm not a big fan of their XH (Extra High) beer, their Sweet Stout is excellent.  I'd heard about Red Rice Ale on a beer calendar my wife gave me for Christmas last year, but it took a while to find a bottle. (That quest was made slightly more difficult because Kiuchi stopped making beer for a while to produce bottled water for survivors of the earthquake in Japan in early 2011.)

Red Rice Ale is unique in that it uses a red variety of rice that's indigenous to Japan.  The red rice adds a subtle red color to the beer, and some sake (rice wine) notes in the flavor.

The beer's aroma is much hoppier than its actual flavor.  The flavor is mild, with a malty and strawberry-like note to it.  Very pleasant and easy to drink.

This can be found locally at The Anderson General Store and perhaps at other local retailers.  I've seen Hitachino Nest products at Whole Foods Market in Upper Arlington and at Giant Eagle Market District in Upper Arlington.

ABV: 7%
IBU: 26
My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment