Friday, February 15, 2013

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace (6/10)

I have something of an odd relationship with Brooklyn Brewery.  I met some of their representatives at a beer festival in the past, and they were really great people.  That makes me really want to love their beers, because I know that they care very deeply about what they're doing and they want people to enjoy the fruits of Brooklyn's labors.  So it saddens me that I haven't found one of their beers yet that I absolutely love.  Their Brooklyn Local 2 is perhaps my favorite of their products.  (Must remember to review that one soon...)

Sorachi Ace is a very interesting beer.  It's a Saison style Belgian ale, but brewed with a unique variety of Japanese hops called Sorachi Ace.  The Sorachi Ace hops reportedly have a very lemony aroma, which comes through clearly in the finished product.

It pours with a thick, foamy white head that lasts quite a while. The beer itself is amber in color.  The flavor is mildly hoppy, reminding me somewhat of the Japanese beer Asahi... just a bit hoppier.  There is some Belgian-like spiciness to the flavor, and a fruity/lemony note that comes from the Sorachi Ace hops, I suspect.  I like Sorachi Ace, but don't love it.

ABV: 7.6%
IBU: 34
My rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment