Sunday, February 3, 2013

Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer (10/10)

On a recent trip to Kenny Road Market, I picked up a bottle of Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer.  The beer is produced by John Crabbie and Co. in Glasgow, United Kingdom.

The label recommends serving it over ice with a slice of lime or lemon.  I tried it first over ice, then with some lemon juice.  In the first case (ice only) it reminded me of a sweeter, milder version of Vernor's Ginger Ale.  With lemon, the sweetness became less intense and the overall flavor did improve (though it was actually great from the start).  After a few sips, you pick up a bit of a burn from the ginger.

The aroma is that of a ginger ale soft drink, sugary and with a strong ginger aroma.  The color is a clear yellow with a thick white head that dissipates relatively quickly.

If you like ginger ale soft drinks, you'll enjoy this ginger beer.  If you're looking for something more like a beer and less like a soft drink, you'll want to steer clear of this.  It is very, very soft drink like.

Since I enjoy an occasional ginger ale, I really liked this.  I'm giving it a 10 out of 10.  I can't imagine a better ginger beer.

ABV: 4.8%
IBU:  Not applicable, really, but estimated 0 or 1.
My rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment