Sunday, December 23, 2012

Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout (10/10)

Anderson Valley’s Brother David’s Double is one of my favorite beers.  When I visited one of my favorite local craft beer carryouts, I found Anderson Valley’s Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout.  I’m glad I did.  It may well be one of the best stouts out there.

I had it from the bottle, so I can’t comment on color, head, clarity, or aroma.

Flavor, on the other hand, I can describe in detail.  It starts far more mellow than a typical stout, but gives way to the usual grainy, smoky bitterness for which stouts are known.   Where some stouts can be heavy-handed, syrupy thick, and a bit much to drink, this one isn’t.  It’s not syrupy at all, but has all the flavor you’d expect for a stout.  There are elements of chocolate, a good hops and malt balance, and a slightly bitter finish.

The folks at RateBeer give it a 96 overall and a 97 for the stout style.  Beer Advocate readers give it a 91/100 and “The Bros” give it a 100/100.  This level of consistently high praise is impressive.  My proverbial hat is off to the Anderson Valley brewmasters for their excellent work on both Barney Flats and Brother David’s Double.

I believe this is available at Kenny Road Market or The Andersons General Store.


ABV:  5.70%
IBU: 13
My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment