Friday, April 20, 2012

Troeg's Troegenator Doublebock (9/10)

Troeg's Brewing Company produces some really unusual and good beer.  Their Mad Elf Ale, available from October through December, is a high-alcohol brew made with cherries, honey, and chocolate malts (and one I look forward to every fall).  Their Java Head Stout has the most pronounced coffee flavor I've ever tasted in a beer (except perhaps for Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout).  The beer I'm reviewing here, their Troegenator Doublebock, is one of my favorites.

Troegenator Doublebock pours into the glass a deep brown that's nearly opaque.  The head is a thick, light tan color that hangs around a while.  The flavor is sweet, with a hint of sourness.  There is a very mild hoppiness to balance out the sweetness.  All in all, it's exactly what I think a Double Bock should taste like.

Beer Advocate ranks it 87-94 out of 100.

I sampled this particular bottle at The Winking Lizard Tavern on Bethel, but I've purchased 6-packs of it since then.  I've found it at Kenny Road Market, Cost Plus World Market, and The Andersons General Store.

ABV: 8.2%
IBU: 25
My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment