Friday, April 13, 2012

Dogfish Head Ta Henket (10/10)


Dogfish Head's Ta Henket is another unique brew offered as part of their Ancient Ales series. It is based on a recipe found in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics, and includes Za'atar (a spice combination), Doum fruit, Chamomile, and Emmer Farro (a grain). Even the yeast used to ferment it is authentic, captured from the air in Egypt.

The yeasty aroma of Ta Henket conjures up a musty tomb in a pyramid. It isn't unpleasant, but you know as soon as you hold the glass to your lips that it isn't a typical beer. There is a very think white head. The beer itself is a clear, slightly pale amber.

The flavor is unlike any beer you probably recognize. It is mild, but complex. The slightly sour note tells you it is a fruit based beer. There is virtually no bitterness to it. It is more like a champagne than a beer.  There is something about this beer that I absolutely love.  Perhaps I was an Egyptian in a past life.

The folks at Beer Advocate didn't like it as much as I did, rating it 79/100 or "average". I like unusual aroma and flavor. It is one of my favorites, but I can understand why others might not appreciate it.

I've occasionally found this at shops around Columbus, but most consistently see it at Ale Wine & Spirits of Powell.

ABV: 4.5%
IBU: 7
My rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment