Sunday, April 29, 2012

Morland Tanner's Jack (5/10)

Morland Brewery's (owned by Greene King) Tanner's Jack is a clear brown English Pale Ale, actually made in England.  It's bottled in clear glass, which is a little unusual.

Upon opening the bottle, I got a hint of a "skunk" aroma.  This mostly disappeared after pouring the ale into a glass (unlike, say, a Heineken which tends to retain that aroma).  There was very little head, and it appeared to dissipate quickly.  The aroma was non-descript, with a touch of fire-roasted smokiness to it (though it took a pretty hefty inhale to pick that up).

The flavor, unfortunately, is also fairly non-descript.  There is a hint of leather to the flavor, a touch of caramel, and a mild but clearly evident hoppy note.  I didn't love it, but didn't hate it, either.  I'd say it's the kind of beer that I'd prefer over Budweiser or Coors, but not by a lot.

Beer Advocate appears to agree, rating it 78/100 or "average". I can't really argue with that.  It's not bad, but not something I'd seek out again.  Greene King's Old Speckled Hen is much better.

I picked this up as part of a "make your own 6-pack" at Kenny Road Market.  I don't recall seeing it at any other retailers.

ABV: 4.4%
IBU: unknown
My rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment