Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Samuel Adams Alpine Spring (8/10)

Back before Samuel Adams became prevalent and mass-produced, it served as my introduction to "craft" beer (where I lived in those days, Budweiser and Miller products were 90% of your options at a bar).  Although I enjoyed Sam Adams beers quite a bit back then, I don't drink them very often today.  The brewers seem to pride themselves on cramming as much hops flavoring into their products as they can, which is always a turn-off to me.  Still, when I found myself in the local Red Lobster recently, I chose their Alpine Spring draft as the best option among the available drafts.

I was pleasantly surprised by it.  The beer is a cloudy, light brown color. It has a thin white head, and a slightly smoky flavor to it.  Unlike most of Sam Adams' products, it seemed very lightly hopped.  I found it to a well-balanced flavor overall.  It's a beer I'd happily drink again.

The folks at Beer Advocate seem to agree with me, rating it an 83 out of 100, or "good".

I had this particular glass at Red Lobster, but you can find it at other restaurants and in Sam Adams sample packs at places like Sam's Club.

ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 19
My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment