Friday, July 15, 2016

Actual Brewing Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Red Ale (7/10)

Actual Brewing of Columbus has produced a number of very nice beers.  When I had the opportunity to sample their Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Red Ale, I didn't hesitate.

Although I'm not a huge bourbon fan, I did learn (thanks to a sampler at The Winking Lizard a couple of years ago) that I do like Woodford Reserve's bourbon.  Since I also like several of Actual Brewing's beers and barrel-aged beers in general, it seemed like a match made in beer fanatic heaven.

The beer pours a medium brown with finger thick white head that lasts a little while, then leaves behind line like lacing as you can see in the photo.

The aroma is malty and oaky, hinting at the bourbon flavoring in the beer.

The flavor is roasted malt at the start, then the bourbon and oak flavors rise up, followed by hops bitterness.  It's pretty well-balanced, though a tad dry and hoppy for my taste.

I give the beer a 7 out of 10 overall, which means I like it but simply don't love it.  You'll have to go with my opinion on this, as there's nothing on Beer Advocate or Rate Beer for it as of this writing.

I haven't seen the beer anywhere other than The Daily Growler, and it's long been off the menu there.

No comments:

Post a Comment