Friday, June 17, 2016

Actual Brewing Saison Du Poincare (8/10)

Here's a pro tip for reading beer reviews on this blog. If the picture shows much less than a full glass, the odds are very good that I enjoyed the beer so much that I almost finished it before realizing I had a photo to accompany the review...

I sampled Actual Brewing's Saison du Poincare late in 2015 at their taproom near the Greater Columbus International Airport.  Sadly, it looks like this beer may no longer be available... so consider this review a recording for posterity as to how good it was.  (I'm basing this on the fact that it's not listed on their web site.)

Actual describes this as "a dark saison, brewed with everything we had left in the 'cabinet' at the end of the brewing season."  I think they're being a bit modest with that description.

Saison du Poincare pours a hazy amber with white head that lingers and leaves no lacing.

The aroma has the typical Saison funk to it with some fruity notes.  I get a bit of tartness as well.

The flavor starts with a mix of sweet malt, citrus, and Saison funk.  Hops bitterness is well balanced, which is what I look for in a Saison.

I'm giving it an 8 out of 10.  Untappd gives it a 3.63 out of 5.  Beer Advocate had no reviews until I added mine.  RateBeer doesn't even have the beer listed.


No comments:

Post a Comment