Friday, June 10, 2016

Actual Brewing Photon Light Lager (8/10)

Actual Brewing from here in Columbus is one of my favorite local breweries.  I like their approach to brewing, which is a combination of science and fun. They brew some good beers.

On a visit to their taproom in late 2015, I had the chance to try their Photon Light Lager, pictured at left.

Actual describes Photon by saying "This dazzling light lager has a dual nature:  a wave of golden flavor entangled with a quantum of noble hops. A challenge to brew, but a cinch to drink, this beer moves at precisely the speed of itself."

Photon pours a bright pale gold with a white head that lasts briefly. It leaves behind virtually no lacing.

The aroma is a balanced blend of hops and roasted malt.

The flavor is a clean balance of malt, hops, and a mild roasted malt.  Photon is very drinkable and a good example of the style.  The balance between malt and hops is excellent, with neither overpowering the other.  I detected no off flavors in it, either.  A really nice example of the style.

As you can see from the photo, I enjoyed it rather a lot before realizing I hadn't taken a photo yet to accompany this review.  I'm rating it a solid 8 out of 10.  I like the combination of noble hops and roasted malt, and the fact that it's easy to drink.  When I compare it to the "big names" that advertise during major sporting events on television, this is a much, much better beer.  It's the kind of brew I can imagine offering to friends and family who don't care for craft beer and having them love it.

RateBeer doesn't have enough ratings yet to give this an official number, but the existing ratings show in the 11 to 13 out of 20 range, or approximately 6 out of 10.  Beer Advocate had no ratings for the beer until I added mine.

Actual's products are available in their taproom near the airport and at a number of other locations around town.  If you like light beers, I would definitely recommend this one over any of the big-name macro brews.




No comments:

Post a Comment