Friday, January 29, 2016

Two Brothers Atom Smasher (7/10)

Two Brothers Artisan Brewing is located in Warrenville, Illinois, which is west of Chicago.  I'm a fan of their Domaine DuPage French Country Ale but hadn't had any of their other brews.

Atom Smasher is an oak-aged Oktoberfest style lager.

It pours a bright gold that's slightly brown or amber, with a white head that doesn't last long and leaves behind a few spots of lacing.

The aroma is primarily roasted grain and bread.

The flavor starts with a very slightly hoppy balance, then turns a little sweet and malty with some roasted malt present. The finish is malty and mildly bitter.  It's a nice enough example of the Oktoberfest style but doesn't strike me as outstanding in any particular way.  Then again, I'm not that big a fan of the style.

Beer Advocate gives Atom Smasher an 83 or "good" rating.  RateBeer is tougher on it, giving the beer only 53 overall.  My rating is a 7 out of 10, somewhere in between those two ratings.  I like it well enough, but I don't love it.

Atom Smasher is sold in bottles and kegs.  I've seen other Two Brothers beers at most retailers around town, including The Andersons General Store and others.  Since this is a seasonal, you probably won't be seeing it until the fall.  I tasted this particular glass at The Daily Growler when it was on tap during Fall 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment