Friday, January 8, 2016

Rhinegeist Ink (7/10)

Cincinnati's Rhinegeist Brewery produces a number of popular beers.  Ink is their Imperial Stout is one of their "Rarity" line that sees limited production and distribution.  I found it on tap at the Whole Foods in Dublin a few months ago and ordered a glass.

As its name implies, Ink pours black with a thin tan head that doesn't last long.

The aroma is sweet, malty, and chocolatey.

The flavor matches the aroma well.  It starts malty and slightly boozy, then becomes mildly chocolatey and sweet with a hint of coffee-like bitterness.  The finish is bitter but no excessively so.

The beer doesn't have enough reviews yet on Beer Advocate to get an official rating, but the ones listed there currently average approximately an 81/100.  RateBeer, on the other hand, gives the beer a 94 overall.  I like it, but I can't say that I really love it.  The sweetness and chocolate work for me, but the bitterness doesn't. I'm giving it a 7 out of 10.

Because this is a limited edition sort of beer, I can't tell you where you might find it apart from the Rhinegeist brewery in Cincinnati.  The glass pictured above came from Whole Foods in Dublin back in August or September 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment