Friday, January 22, 2016

Lefebvre Floreffe Tripel (8/10)

Most craft beer fans have a few favorite beer styles and several favorite beers.  For me, the Belgian style Tripel is one of my favorite styles.  I'll usually try any tripel I encounter, wondering if it is better than one of my favorites.

When the Rare Beer Club's web site offered beers from all of its various clubs, I noticed the availability of Brasserie Lefebvre's Floreffe Tripel.  Naturally, I ordered some.

Floreffe pours an amber color that's nearly brown, making it a bit dark for a traditional tripel.  It has a huge beige head comprised of bubbles of all sizes from tiny to surprisingly large.  It's also quite bright and clear, which is a little uncommon in the tripels I've seen.  The texture of the foam is a lot like whipped cream once it settles a bit.  It leaves behind wide rings of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is yeasty, bready, and mildly fruity.  I get a hint of lemony citrus, too.  Maybe a hint of minerals.  That's about all.  Others might pick out more in the aroma.

The flavor starts out balanced slightly toward hops, especially when it's colder.  After that initial burst of hops there is a burst of sweet caramel malt, honey, citrus, and a definite warming note from the 8% alcohol in it.  The finish is citrusy and mildly bitter.

Beer Advocate gives Floreffe Tripel an 85 or "very good' rating.  RateBeer gives it an 88 overall.  It's not my favorite tripel, but it's certainly better than many I've had.  With a bit of aging to tone the bitterness down a bit, it might be even better.  As is, I'm giving it an 8 out of 10.  It's a good tripel, very drinkable, but not as complex as Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde or as delicious as Tripel Karmeliet.

As far as I know, this beer isn't sold here in Ohio.  I was able to obtain it mail order via the Rare Beer Club web site.  It may still be in stock when you read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment