Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Lineage Brewing - Clintonville



I read back in March that Lineage Brewing would open in its Clintonville location on April 1.  Co-owned by Mike and Jessica Byrne, Carey Hall, and Jessica Page, Lineage Brewing is located in a former car wash at 2971 North High Street.  You'd never mistake it for a car wash today.  The interior is tastefully designed and decorated.  There is both outdoor and indoor seating.



The seven-barrel brewery serves up to six different brews at a time.  On the day of my visit, that included:

  • Arm Buster - An Oatmeal Stout
  • Scarale - A Blackberry Wheat Beer
  • Aunt Bernice - A Berliner Weisse (sour) Beer
  • Ole Willy Mclane - A Scottish 80 Shilling Ale
  • Spaceship #6 - an IPA
  • (Not available during my visit) Mike Drop - A coconut porter, which was ironically the beer I was most excited to try

Draft prices were $5-$6 at the time of my visit.  A flight of sample-sized glasses (pictured above) was $10 (with a discount for the missing Mike Drop sample).

Lineage also plans to offer a cask ale each week that takes one of its main beers and experiments with it a little, perhaps adding a spice, dry hopping, a fruit, or some other ingredient.  A mango version of their IPA was on cask during my visit.

I'm planning to review the beers individually over the next few weeks, so all I'll really tell you here is this... Here is a Columbus brewmaster who understands that a good beer isn't necessarily a hoppy one.  The IPA is well-hopped, as would be expected for the style, but drinkable even for me (and I generally dislike IPAs). The stout is hopped to 47 IBUs, which is a perfect balance to its malty, chocolate, and coffee flavors.  They were all true to their styles, very drinkable, and beverages that I will not mind having again in the future (though I'll probably skip the IPA from here on out).



Lineage offers "hand pies" in spinach, samosa, banh mi, and duck confit flavors.  During out visit, we decided to try the Indian samosa flavored one.  We were not disappointed.  The flavor and texture were excellent, and there was a perfect amount of spice to liven it up.  I would expect the others to be similarly good.

I recommend paying this excellent local brewery a visit when you get the chance.

Per their web site, they're open 2-10pm Sunday, closed Monday, 4-10pm Tuesday through Thursday, 4pm to 1am Friday, and 2pm to 1am Saturday.

2971 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43202
(614) 461-3622

No comments:

Post a Comment