Saturday, May 9, 2015

Lineage Brewing Aunt Bernice Berliner Weisse (6/10)

Clintonville's Lineage Brewing makes this authentic Berliner Weisse.  If you're not familiar with the style, your first taste could be a little shocking.  The style is known for being sour.  It's something like a wheat beer into which has been poured a quantity of lemon juice.

Lineage's version pours a bright gold color with white head that lasts a little while before dissipating.

The aroma is malty, hints at the sourness, and maybe it's just me.. but I got a hint of wet canine there.  Bear in mind that I had sinus surgery recently so my sense of smell may be suspect.  Suffice to say that the aroma as it was didn't prevent me from trying the beer.

The flavor is mildly sour.  Compared to some of the true German Berliner Weisse beers I've had, it's a much milder sourness.  I can imagine drinking this while cutting the grass or sitting on a beach.  The sourness would work for it there.  My wife and brother, who were with me when I tried it, did not care for the beer.  They're also not fond of a true German version of it either.  I like the style as a change of pace but wouldn't drink it regularly.

I'm rating it a 6 out of 10.  It would probably get a 7, but that strange funk in the aroma detracted a little from the beer for me.  I'm still new to the style and am trying to figure out what I do and don't like in it.  That means my rating might be lower than it would when I've had a lot of other Berliner Weisse examples to compare it with.

Right now, this beer is only on tap at Lineage Brewing's location on North High Street.  Lineage plans to rotate through recipes and styles, so if you're looking to try the beer I recommend doing it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment