Friday, August 8, 2014

Sprecher Abbey Triple (9/10)

The Sprecher brewery of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, produces a wide range of beers.  Abbey Triple is the brewery’s version of the Belgian Tripel style.

According to their web site, this is “A Belgian Trappist triple yeast culture balanced with the finest imported pale barley, Belgian aromatic malt and oats.”
It pours a very slightly hazy gold color with a thin white head that dissipates to nothing fairly quickly (the photo at left was taken within 3-5 seconds of pouring).

The aroma is sweet, malty, and fruity.  It’s exactly what you’d expect to get from a good Belgian tripel.

The flavor backs up that aroma perfectly.  It starts sweet and malty, with a touch of cloves and apricot.  It finishes very clean and perfectly balanced.   While not as complex as a true Belgian tripel, I find it very easy to drink and certainly much better than some tripels I’ve had in the past. 

The Beer Advocate folks rated it 81 out of 100 or “good”.  The Rate Beer reviewers give it a 58 overall.  I like it a bit more than they did, especially considering its relatively low price.  I’m giving it a 9 out of 10, at least until I’ve tried it again.

This particular bottle was purchased at The Andersons General Store in Dublin.  I’ve not seen this brand at other local retailers since I first encountered it.

Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:
Sweet
Spice Level:  
Low
Hops Level: Very Low
Dominant Flavors: clove, apricot
ABV:  8.41%
IBU:  13
My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment