Saturday, August 30, 2014

Barley’s Infinity Grand Cru

Those of you who know me personally or have been reading this blog for a while know that I’m a huge fan of Belgian style beers and have been for some time.

Unfortunately, the prevailing trend in craft beer circles is the India Pale Ale, or IPA.  While I respect the reasons people like them, I quite simply don’t.

The brewmaster at Barley’s has created some great beers.  For me, the top-of-the-line is the beer pictured at left.  This is Barley’s Infinity Grand Cru

Barley’s describes Infinity Grand Cru as “a wonderfully complex Belgian dark strong ale” and they’re right on target.  It’s beautiful to look at in the glass, a kind of mahogany color with thin off-white head.  The aroma gives off the usual Belgian fruit and spice.  The flavor is sweet, malty, and mixes in plums, cherries, and a touch of pepper.  It’s really a great beer and I think it’s quite possibly my favorite beer brewed in the Columbus area.  (But since I haven’t had them all yet, we’ll just say it’s “one of my top favorites” to date.)

I mention this because, as of the moment I’m writing this, Barley’s Ale House on North High Street near the North Market has this excellent beer on tap.  If you like Belgian style ales and haven’t tried Infinity Grand Cru, get down there ASAP and try this one.  I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
One of the Barley’s employees told me last year that I’d probably never see this beer again because it didn’t sell that well.  I’m convinced that’s only because enough of the right craft beer fans haven’t tried it.  Otherwise I think it’d have to be a staple on their menu.  If you try it and like it, make sure you let the management at Barley’s know they have a winner here.

No comments:

Post a Comment