Friday, August 1, 2014

Mikkeller Monk’s Brew–Raspberry (7/10)



This beer is brewed by Mikkeller of Denmark.  It’s a Belgian style quadruple that’s aged in a red wine barrel and brewed with raspberries.  Despite its rather high price tag ($12.99 for the smallish bottle pictured here), I decided to give this beer a try.

It pours a nearly black color with about three fingers’ worth of a tan head that lasts a while.

The aroma combines raspberries, red wine, and oak elements.

The red wine from the barrels used to age the beer provide the dominant flavor element.  It tastes something like a very carbonated red wine with some raspberry juice splashed into it.  Unlike the traditional Belgian Quadruple, which tends to be a sweet and fruity beer, this is a much more dry beer and is slightly bitter instead of sweet.  The finish combines some raspberry sourness and wine tannins.  On balance, it’s not bad… it’s just not what I want from a Quad.

Beer Advocate rates it an 88 out of 100 or “very good”.  Rate Beer gives it a 96 overall.  I don’t think I like it quite as well as they do.  I’m giving it a 7 out of 10.  Perhaps at a lower price point or with a sweeter finish I’d enjoy it more.

I purchased this bottle at Ale Wine and Spirits of Powell, but I have also seen it at Palmer's Beverage Center on Indianola.





Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:
Dry
Spice Level:  None
Hops Level: Very Low
Dominant Flavors: dry red wine, raspberry
ABV:  10%
IBU:  Unknown, but probably < 20
My Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment