Friday, March 21, 2014

Avery The Reverend (8/10)

Avery Brewing Company of Boulder, Colorado, produces a pretty wide range of beers.  They offer an IPA (of course), White Rascal (a Belgian wheat ale), Ellie's Brown Ale, Out of Bounds Stout, Joe's Pilsner, New World Porter, Karma, and several others.  The Reverend is their Belgian style Quadrupel Ale.

The Reverend features Sterling hops, two-row barley, aromatic malt, and Belgian Candy Sugar.

The Avery web site describes the color as Tawny, but to my eyes it's more a clear mahogany color (a "reddish brown").  The head is about half a finger thick and white, which is unusual for such a dark colored beer.

The aroma is one of caramel and spice.

The flavor starts sweet and malty, with just a touch of hops bitterness and a moderate amount of Belgian-style spice.  The finish is all dark fruit and mild hops bitterness.  I've had both the bottled and draft versions (draft is pictured here).  Both are good, but I think I like the draft slightly better.  The Reverend is a very nice Quad and I like it a lot.  I think I still prefer Ommegang Three Philosophers and Gulden Draak 9000 (two other Quads) to The Reverend, but it's a close comparison.  You wouldn't go wrong drinking any of those.

Beer Advocate's reviewers give The Reverend 86/100 (which is in line with my own rating).  RateBeer gives it a 94 overall.  Sounds like we all enjoyed this one.

ABV:  10.0%
IBU: 24
My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment