Friday, March 14, 2014

Atwater Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale (6/10)

Atwater Brewery is located in Michigan.  Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale is described on their web site as "Holding true to the Northern English tradition, the Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale has at its foundation a nutty profile with a round mouthfeel. Added is a chocolate extract consisting of three blended chocolates of varied depth."

The color is nearly black with a light-brown head that doesn't last too long but leaves behind thick bands of spiky lacing.

The aroma of this beer is absolutely amazing.  Imagine a freshly baked chocolate cake, in a glass.  Or a glass of hot cocoa.  That's this beer's aroma.  Being a chocolate fanatic, it's a very enticing aroma.

If this beer had a chocolate flavor identical to its aroma, I think I'd drink it by the keg.  Perhaps fortunately, that's not the case.  The flavor starts very "un-chocolate" with a splash of hops and burnt grain, and finishes mildly bitter.  I'm sure the chocolate flavor is in there somewhere, but it only just barely peeks out at you in the middle of the swallow.  If I ignore the chocolate aspect and go with it as a stout, it's "OK" but not great.

If you're looking for a more chocolaty beer, try Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout.  Even Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro has a better chocolate flavor to me.  But for chocolate aroma, Atwater's brew definitely wins out.

Beer Advocate gives Atwater Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale an 83, or "good" rating.  Rate Beer gives it a 76 overall.

I believe I picked this beer up at Ale Wine and Spirits of Powell.  I've also seen it at Whole Foods Market in Dublin inside their "Beer Cave".

ABV:  5.5%
IBU: 11
My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment