Friday, January 31, 2014

Stillwater As Follows (6/10)

Stillwater Artisanal Ales in Baltimore, Maryland, produces As Follows.  As Follows is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

As Follows pours a clear yellow with a thin white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The aroma is distinctly citrus and spice.

The flavor starts a bit fruity and spicy, then gives way to hops bitterness which takes the reins until the finish.  It's that bitter, hoppy finish that kills it for me.

I'm in the minority on that, however.  Beer Advocate gives As Follows a 92/100 or "outstanding" rating.  RateBeer gives it a 97/100.  For me, this one starts about an 8 and then loses 3 points on the finish, balancing out at 6/10.

I tried this particular sample at The Daily Growler in Upper Arlington.  I've seen Stillwater's products in Columbus at the Giant Eagle at Kingsdale Shopping Center, Ale Wine and Spirits in Powell, The Andersons General Store near Sawmill, Kenny Road Market, and Weiland's Gourmet Market.

ABV:  9%
IBU: Unknown, but I'd guess in the 35-40 range
My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment