Friday, November 29, 2013

Victory Golden Monkey–Draft (8/10)

The Victory Brewing Company, located in Downingtown, PA, makes two of my favorite beers – V Twelve (a Belgian Strong Ale) and Golden Monkey.  Golden Monkey is a Belgian-Style Tripel, composed of 2 row malts, whole flower European hops, and coriander seed.

Until I had the glass pictured at the left, I'd only ever had this beer as a bottled one.  I'm pleased to report that the draft version does not disappoint.

It pours a nearly clear amber with a thin white head that leaves behind a thick ring of persistent lacing, as you can see in the photo.

The aroma is sweet and full of cloves and herbs.  The flavor follows the aroma, beginning slightly balanced toward sweetness.  Then, the cloves and coriander kick in.  The aftertaste is slightly hoppy and bitter.

Beer Advocate rates Victory Golden Monkey in the 77-84 range (average to good).  Rate Beer gives it a 97 overall.

I had this particular glass at The Pint Room in Dublin in March.  I've seen it for purchase in bottled form at Ale Wine and Spirits of Powell, the Giant Eagle near Bethel and Sawmill, Whole Foods in Dublin, Cost Plus World Market at Tuttle Crossing, and Kenny Road Market.

ABV:  9.5%
IBU: unknown, but I'd say high 20's or low 30's
My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment