Friday, September 27, 2013

Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot (8/10)

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. is located in Easton, Pennsylvania.  Blithering Idiot is their Barleywine style beer.

The color is a cloudy reddish brown. Weyerbacher's web site calls it copper, and I can't argue with that.

The head is thin, white, and doesn't last long.

The aroma is sweet, caramel, and pleasant.

The flavor starts with a very slight touch of hops, a stronger caramel sweetness, and a bit of alcohol warmth.  The finish is warming and reminds me of molasses. All in all, it's very pleasant.

Rate Beer gives this one a 96 overall and an 83 for the style.  Beer Advocate is much tougher, with the "Bros" giving it a 65 (poor) and the others giving it an 83 or "good".  I would imagine this has something to do with Weyerbacher intentionally trying to brew a British style balanced barleywine where hops doesn't overwhelm the rest of the flavors. They've achieved that goal here.

I usually don't like Barleywine ales.  They tend to be very strong, unpleasantly hoppy, and not to my taste.  This one, however, is actually very good.  I would happily drink more of this.  Given that, I'm rating it 8/10 because it's what I'd like more barleywines to be like.

ABV: 11.1%
IBU:  Unknown, but I'd rate it about 19
My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment