Monday, November 19, 2012

Yuengling Porter (6/10)

The Yuengling brewery is one of the oldest in Pennsylvania.  They've only entered the Ohio market for a little over a year as of this writing.

Their regular lager beer is, to me, a bit better than mass produced beers but nothing to write home about.  Tonight I had their porter for the first time.

It is a deep black, with a thin beige head.

The aroma is a roasted grain and yeast.

The flavor starts slightly hoppy with a dose of burnt grain bitterness.  The usual malty nature of a porter takes a back seat to this bitterness.  The result is a beer that I am OK with but don't particularly love.  I would order it again, but only after making sure the other taps behind the bar contained mass produced ales and lagers.

Beer Advocate gives this an average rating.  I can't really argue with them on this. I want to love it, but I just don't.


I sampled this beer at the Trueman Pub & Grille in Hilliard, near Mill Run.

ABV:  4.5%
IBU: 32
My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment