Friday, November 2, 2012

Hitachino Nest White Ale (6/10)

Japan’s Kiuchi Brewery, the home of Hitachino Nest Beer, produces some very unusual (but good) beers.  I’ve had several of their brews:  XH, Red Rice Ale, Sweet Stout, and now White Ale.  Their White Ale is a witbier style beer.

It’s a cloudy yellow beer with little head.  The flavor has a touch of orange and coriander to it.  There is a very mild hops presence to it.  The result is a good and very drinkable beer. It’s not my favorite witbier, but it’s one I’d happily drink again.

As is occasionally the case, the folks at Beer Advocate disagree with me on this one.  I’d rank it as “above average” but nothing special.  They rate it “exceptional” or “world class”.  It’s good, but I’m not sure I’d go that far.

I had this particular beer at The Winking Lizard Tavern on Bethel Road, but I've seen Hitachino Nest products for sale at The Andersons General Store (very consistently) and at Whole Foods Market in Upper Arlington.

ABV:  5%
IBU:  13
My rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment