Friday, July 6, 2012

Schneider Weisse Original Hefe-Weizen (8/10)

Schneider Weisse Original is an excellent German Hefe-Weizen beer.  It pours into the glass a cloudy brown, with a thick off-white head.

The flavor is very mild, with a slight citrus note.  There is little or no hops bitterness.  It leaves behind a minimal amount of lacing in the glass.  It's a beer I'll definitely have again.

Beer Advocate rates it an 86-89 or "good".

I tried this beer at The Winking Lizard Tavern, but have seen the brewery's products at Whole Foods Market in Upper Arlington, among other locations.

ABV: 5.4%
IBU: 14
My rating: 8/10

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I see you did a review on Schneider and Sohn Original Hefeweizen. This just happens to be my personal favorite beer, but I can only ever find it at German restaurants, such as Schmidt's and Wurst und Bier, which is okay, but expensive. Would you happen to know where I could find this beer at a retail shop?

    Thanks,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. If memory serves, I had this beer at The Winking Lizard Tavern on Bethel Road, and they do sell beer for carry-out though the prices are higher than most retailers. It's possible I might have seen it at Kenny Road Market or Ale Wine & Spirits in Powell, but I don't recall for certain. With more-recent reviews, I've been trying to list where the beer can be found locally for purchase. Unfortuantely, I didn't think of that when I wrote this particular review.

    ReplyDelete