Friday, August 5, 2016

New Holland Night Tripper (6/10)

New Holland's Night Tripper is an Imperial Stout.  Their web site says "An abundance of roasted malts and flaked barley create rich, roasty stout with deeply intense, lush flavors."  It's rated at 11.5% alcohol by volume and 45 IBUs, which is relatively low for a stout.

Night Tripper pours a clean dark brown with hints of mahogany. A thin tan head atop the beer lasts a while.

The aroma combines bourbon, alcohol, and malt.

The flavor starts sweet and malty, turns to bourbon, and finishes smoky and bitter... far more bitter than you'd expect for 45 IBUs.

It's an OK stout, but nothing I'm in a hurry to have again.  I'm giving it a 6 out of 10. RateBeer likes it much better than I do, giving it a 99 overall.  Beer Advocate also likes it much better, giving it a 90 overall.  They must see something in it that I don't... or maybe I was just having a bad day.

I tasted this at The Daily Growler in Upper Arlington back in 2014.  I haven't seen it locally in a while, but BeerMenus.com claims you may be able to find a bottle at Pace High Carryout for $8.99.  I'd check with them before making the trip unless you're heading there for another reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment