Friday, August 19, 2016

De Halve Maan Straffe Hendrik Quad 2012 (10/10)

Warning: If you're not comfortable spending $25 or more for a large bottle of beer, you may want to stop reading right here.

De Halve Maan of Belgium produces Straffe Hendrik Quad, a true Belgian brewed Quadrupel which is barrel aged before bottling.

It pours a dark brown, bordering on mahogany, with thin beige head that lingers a while.

The aroma is sweet and malty, with notes of dark fruit and spice.

The flavor follows the aroma, with a well-balanced malty sweetness and dark fruit element.  Cherry and brown sugar also make an appearance.  Hops bitterness is detectable but by no means obvious. The finish is dry with some tannins in it.  It's a very smooth beer and easy to drink.  The 11% alcohol comes through as a warming note in the finish.  I can't do this beer justice in a verbal description except to say that it's absolutely delicious.

The Beer Advocate crowd rates it a 91 or outstanding.  RateBeer gives it a 99 overall.  I'm giving it a 10 out of 10.

There are very few beers I'm willing to pay $20 a bottle for, or more.  I've paid $27 a couple of times for this one at World of Beer, and I picked up a bottle at Savor Pint for $25 a few months ago.  Those are the only places in town I've seen it.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment