Friday, April 29, 2016

Hoppin' Frog BORIS the Crusher Reserve (8/10)

A few years ago, I took part in The Winking Lizard's World Beer Tour.  Although I'd learned to avoid beers with certain words in the title (American, Imperial, Pale Ale) because they tended to be hop-forward and unpleasant to me, I gave Hoppin' Frog's BORIS the Crusher a chance.  This Imperial Russian Stout turned out to be a favorite.

When I recently saw that Hoppin' Frog had relased BORIS the Crusher Reserve, I was intrigued.  I picked up a bottle at Savor Pint and brought it home.

This version of BORIS, according to the label, is "brewed with even better dark grain - the finest imported dark grain" to make it even better.

The beer pours a thick, black motor-oil-like color with a thin brown head that doesn't last long and leaves behind no lacing.

The aroma is chocolatey, malty, and sweet.

The flavor starts malty and dry, but then turns sweet, bitter, and warming.  For my taste, it's a bit more bitter than I care for but still quite drinkable.  The mouthfeel is creamy and silky, similar to a melted milkshake.

It's a good stout. I'm giving it an 8 out of 10.  Beer Advocate has no official number yet, but the reviews there as of this writing work out to around an 8 out of 10 also.  Rate Beer gives it a 98 overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment