Friday, December 4, 2015

Brasserie Des Legendes Noel Des Geants (10/10)

When I saw this beer on the shelf in 2013 at The Andersons General Store in Dublin, It immediately caught my attention.  It had an interesting bottle, an understated label, and it was a Belgian Christmas Beer.  Priced at $9.99 a bottle, it went on my Christmas list that year.  Thankfully, Santa has developed an appreciation for Belgian ales and placed a bottle under my tree.

Noel des Geants comes from Brasserie des Legendes (Brewery of the Legends) of Belgium.  They produce a number of other beers that I haven't encountered in Ohio in the past but will keep an eye out for now that I've had this one.

Noel des Geants pours a clear mahogany color with a thick head of beige foam.  It's beautiful to look at.

The aroma combines dark fruit, rich malt, and honey.  It smells as good as it looks.

Flavor is where this beer really shines... especially when you let it age for a few months in the cellar.  It's sweet, fruity, spicy, and has a strong caramel note.  Without question, one of the more delicious beers I've ever had and one that I look forward to having again.

I've seen it at The Andersons and sporadically at a few other shops around town.  If you enjoy Belgian beers, look for it.

Beer Advocate gave this only an 85-87 rating (very good).  Rate Beer gave it an 82 overall.  I think I enjoyed it a bit more than they did.  I'm giving it the full 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment